Sunday, June 26, 2011

My Terrible Judo Guy Newaza

Now that I'm back from university I've been practicing at my home dojo which, of course, means I get to see my older brother more often. He got me into Judo when I was little, but he practices BJJ also. Not surprisingly, pretty much every time we roll he berates me for my newaza (lit. "ground technique"). I'll be the first to admit that I totally deserve it! For the decade I was doing Judo before college, I was never challenged to step up my newaza to the same extent I was challenged to step up my tachiwaza (lit. "standing technique"). At this point in my life, as I'm working towards competing at the highest levels I see exactly why this is the case.

In the heart of every modern Judoka there exists the desire to do at one of the following: 1) to be successful in competition 2) to contribute to the success of another person in competition. To cater to different tastes/philosophies there are a handful of tournaments that break away from the IJF's rules, but let's be honest here- the only tournaments that really matter are the ones sanctioned by the IJF. One of the most notable achievements a judoka can have under their belt (so to speak) is to go to the Olympics, and there is absolutely no way to get there that would allow one to circumvent the IJF (for more details about how spots will be allocated for the 2012 Olympics click here). Even if it was possible, the rules at the Olympics are always set in place by the IJF with maybe a couple of minor modifications.

For my non-Judo readers, the big deal with all of this is that for a multitude of reasons, the IJF's rules favor victory by use of throws rather than by submission or pin. That is not to say that people only win by throwing, but the fact that shortly after engaging in newaza (I guess you could call it "wrestling") competitors are stood up to start the fight standing again. Furthermore, a lot of take-downs that have a higher percentage of starting groundwork than ending the point by a throw were banned recently. My main problem with this is that it disadvantages those who have as much of a methodical, patient approach to groundwork as they do to standing technique. The whole turtle-posture to run out the clock as soon as someone hits the mat is probably one of the most disappointing things to see from a high level combatant (well, that and pulling guard from standing).

In spite of what Judo may be popularly perceived as, groundwork is just as big a part of what Judo was intended to be as throwing is. If you look at, say, Sambo or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, the principles governing their ground techniques are Judo in origin since both Vasili Oshchepkov and Carlos Gracie were taught DIRECTLY by Judoka. Undoubtedly, the rules of a sport's highest competition will dictate what is taught at its lower levels. Because of this, the emphasis in most Judo schools (including my own) is on throwing rather than mat work. To what extent should teachers spend time teaching the traditions of Judo, versus what will work in competitions?

Right now in my Judo journey (which is really more a life journey) I'm trying to improve my mat work. It seems simple enough, but I've basically made the claim that my own dojo does not provide an environment where my newaza will develop to the same extent my tachiwaza has. In my next segment I'll discuss possible solutions and my take on the various mysteries and myths surrounding Judo and its ground technique. I leave you with a counter argument against Judo players being bad at newaza.
Thanks for stopping by! You're alright.
-Ben

1 comment:

  1. My dad took me out of judo & put me first into GJJ then Goju Ryu, because he felt it didn't teach self defense against strikes whether standing or grounding. Eventually I got BB in all three arts, but newaza was done in 2 kata the katame no kata & kime no kata. What is funny though is that it was me joining the wrestling team that got me back into judo, because we had five judoka, 2 Jujutsuka, & 1 samboist on my wrestling team, so we would get together & train Gi before & after Wrestling practice.

    ReplyDelete